Manan joined East Anglian Chambers in 2018 after more than 12 years practising as a solicitor in the City of London with a number of international law firms. His practice focuses on high-value, complex commercial and financial litigation and international arbitration, as well as matters of company law, civil fraud, professional negligence, shareholders’ disputes and insolvency law.
His experience spans a broad range of industry sectors and jurisdictions, with proceedings often being multi-jurisdictional in nature. He also advises high net worth individuals and companies on matters of asset structuring and trusts. In addition to his commercial disputes practice, Manan has a wealth of transactional experience in banking and capital markets which gives him a unique expertise in dealing with financial disputes and technical expert evidence relating to such disputes.
He is happy to talk through queries on an informal basis prior to instruction, and prides himself on being responsive and easy to work with.
Manan has appeared regularly in the English High Court and before arbitral tribunals constituted under the rules of the ICC in Paris, London and Dubai, LCIA, the DIFC-LCIA, and SIAC.
LLB (Hons), University of Manchester – 2:1 – 2004
LLM (International Business Law), University of Manchester – 2:1 – 2005
LPC, BPP Law School – Commendation – 2006
Admitted to the Roll of Solicitors – 2009
Qualified as Solicitor Advocate – 2015
Called to the Bar – 2018
IBA International Litigation Newsletter: Enforcing judgments: Pensions are not always sacrosanct, May 2017
Panelist at a conference held by the Indian National Bar Association at Westminster, June 2016 (Is India ready as the next big arbitration hub in Asia?)
Panelist at a conference held by the Indian National Bar Association in New Delhi, November 2015 (Arbitration & Mediation)
IFLR, After the storm: Is the new special administration regime strong enough?, May 2012
Bankers’ Law, IMO Car Wash and its aftermath: Difficult times for junior creditors, March 2010
- Acted for the luxury goods manufacturer Montblanc in English court proceedings to enforce an arbitration award against a former franchisee, including obtaining a freezing injunction and charging orders.
- Advised a prominent Middle-Eastern family in litigation proceedings against Credit Suisse in relation to a claim for the mis-selling of structured products.
- Acted for the claimant in DIFC-LCIA arbitration proceedings in a shareholder dispute relating to a space and satellite risk insurance intermediary company.
- Acted for the respondent in ICC London arbitration proceedings in an African oil and gas dispute relating to an off-shore drilling contract.
- Acted for a pay-tv platform in ICC Paris arbitration proceedings relating to the sale and licensing of pay TV rights and sports content for 22 countries in the Middle East and North Africa region with a value of US$1.6 billion.
- Acted for a leading franchisor in the food & beverage industry in the MENA region in ICC Paris arbitration proceedings against a franchisee, and in subsequent English court proceedings to enforce the arbitration award in their favour.
- Advised a foreign investor in LCIA arbitration proceedings in relation to recovering its investment in a start-up venture which had been misappropriated by the promoter counterparty in India.
- Advised a senior employee in the SFO investigation against Barclays relating to the 2008 capital raising by the bank.
- Acted for the respondent in DIFC-LCIA arbitration proceedings for specific performance of a whole-business sale and purchase agreement.
- Advised the defendants in the long-running Masri litigation in cross-border proceedings in England and 4 other jurisdictions.
- Advised the claimant in DIFC court proceedings relating to the defaults under a single-currency loan facility provided by the claimant.
- Advised the mezzanine lenders in the IMO Car Wash case in proceedings in the English High Court, and the subsequent entry into administration of the relevant companies.
- Advised a leading global oil company in defending sham proceedings brought against its project finance SPV company by a distressed debt investor in multi-jurisdictional court proceedings.
- Advised Merrill Lynch International on the recovery of its financial investments in complex structured products in an insolvent hedge fund group in multi-jurisdictional court proceedings.